Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Being Sick and Being Selfish

I haven't been blogging because I had a breast infection called Mastitis which is common when breastfeeding. I had a temp of 104.3 and I was just to the point of wanting to die. Then I was put on antibiotics. Lets just say the last week was the week from hell! I didn't get to work out and eating was not at the top of my list.

Anyway, my milk supply got really low as a result and I'm seriously thinking about weaning my daughter and putting her on formula so that I can lose weight more efficiently. Is that selfish of me? Is it wrong to put my need to lose weight and be healthy ahead of my daughter's breastfeeding? I'm really not allowed to "diet" like I use to before breastfeeding. I'm so torn on this issue and hoping for some sort of input from my readers. My husband just said that he's happy as long as our daughter gets the nutrients she needs to thrive.

What do you think I should do??

2 comments:

Beanie said...

I too breastfed and it was the best time of my life. I bf'd till my son was 18 months old. The mastitis and clogged ducts are the worst but the babies are so worth it. I did enjoy the 30+ points I had while breastfeeding!!! You know your body and what it needs, you'll make the right decision for both of you. I don't know if that helps or not, guess you could call it my two cents!

Karyn said...

Mastitis is probably one of the most awful illnesses we experience. Pain and fever....ugh.

Breastfeeding is the best start you can give your baby - nutritionally as well as emotionally. I am so glad that I nursed all my babies.

HOWEVER.....if continuing on with breastfeeding will make you feel resentful of it, or if you are prone to Mastitis and are likely to keep getting it, then you need to consider that 3 months on the breast has been a good start for your babe.

Only you can know for sure what is right for you.

I only caution you about making a decision based on the 'fact' that you cannot 'diet' when you are breastfeeding. It is NOT true, unless you are looking for a restrictive diet based on deprival.

If, on the other hand, you are looking to learn to eat healty foods in healthy portions, then breastfeeding (and the extra calories needed) will not hinder your weight loss goals.


My breastfeeding days were the years that I gained the least amount of weight, if any. And my food choices were very often NOT the healthy ones.